NCK - The Nordic Centre of Heritage
Learning and Creativity
NCK is a research and development centre located in Östersund, Sweden, working with learning through cultural heritage. The aim is to help cultural institutions such as museums, archives and galleries, how to use for instance artefacts, stories and documents to achieve social inclusion, lifelong learning and regional development. NCK started in 2005 as a project run by Jamtli (the regional museum), the State regional archives and the popular movements’ archives.
Since January 2013 NCK is owned by cultural heritage institutions in the Nordic and Baltic countries, which makes the Nordic-Baltic perspective strong. NCK runs several Nordic projects, but is also involved in European projects.
In addition to the projects NCK also arranges a conference every year in February. In 2014 the conference will be held on the 5th and 6th of February on the theme “Take a stand!” It will be about the role of heritage institutions in their communities and as political actors – not as neutral agents delivering the “truth”.
NCK also arranges courses, lectures and seminars and cooperate a lot with other actors. Together with the Association of Swedish Museums and three universities, a university course has been developed for museum staff to increase their competence when it comes to learning. The course consists of four parts and will start in the autumn of 2014. It is the result of an investigation made by NCK about learning in museums, where we found that many education officers have little formal education in the field of learning, and that there is a demand for further education at university level for them.
NCK is a small centre with large ambitions and plenty of things going on. It is a dynamic and creative centre which works with practical experiments, research and politics, with conferences, projects and learning. You will find us on www.nckultur.org or at www.facebook.com/nckultur
Anna Hansen Managing Director
- South Africa
- Jämtlands läns museum
- Kalmar County Museum
- Historical costumes at Kalmar County Museum
- Historical props at Kalmar County Museum
- Eketorp Castle
- International meeting in Sweden
- "A day of the fifties" Time Travel to 1959 in Frödinge, Sweden
- A National/International Centre in Historic Environment Education in Kalmar
- Time Travels' 20th Anniversary!
- Historical Fashion Show at Kalmar County Museum
- Historic Environment Education at Linnaeus University
- Gesällen, Archaeology with young students
- Eketorp Fortress – making history today
- More living - Active age, Elderly care and heritage, South Africa and Sweden
- NCK - The Nordic Centre of Heritage
- Living in two worlds
- Bystanders – Does it matter?
- Young people reflect on life and faith
- “Uprise or negotiations?” Oskarshamn, Sweden 1542
- Elin – a hardworking trainee at the Kalmar County Museum
- “Return journey”
- Bridging Ages memories
- Time Travels and the future
- Åland Islands