Ngurunit conference, a chance of a life time.
Bridging Ages Conference
26-28 August 2014
Organizers: BANK, Bridging Ages Northern Kenya, National Museums of Kenya and Kenyatta University. Support from Marsabit County
In Ngurunit you will experience the lifestyle of the Samburu and Rendille nomads. You will have a chance to see a culture that is gone in most parts of the world, but in Ngurunit still vibrant and alive, for example building of a hut, make fire with sticks, store fresh milk in the hot desert, make rock paintings, watch the blacksmith with his stone forge. And of course try the spectacular dances, the colourful dresses, listen to the legends, and taste the good food.
It is with lots of pride that the Ngurunit community welcomes visitors from all over the world to their community. They will do everything to make you feel at home.
Topic of the conference: Education and Community Building
There will be presentations and engaging workshops on collaboration between education, heritage and community, examples from Kenya and other countries in Africa, Europe and other continents. Both best practices and recent research on the benefits of working together, education and community.
- the role of the local community and local heritage in education
- how education and local heritage support in developing the community
The Time Travel will be held at one of the local homesteads, a manyatta.
The conference will end with a big cultural event, an extraordinary experience.
24-25 August Transport from Nairobi to Ngurunit (organized by BANK)
26 August Day one: opening of the conference, presentations and workshops
27 August Day two: Time Travel to today, at a manyatta; Presentations and workshops, evening program
28 August Day three, Am: Concluding workshops
Pm and evening: Big cultural event with Samburus, Rendilles and other tribes
in northern Kenya, performances, songs, dances
29 August A day in Ngurunit and surroundings, visiting the pool, town, mountains, manyattas, schools, depending on interest
30 August Transport Ngurunit-Nairobi (organized by BANK)
Safety, Accommodation and Fees
Ngurunit is a safe place in the middle of the Samburu and Rendille communities. The organizers will provide transport from Nairobi to Ngurunit. There is local security and a clinic.
Accommodation in Ngurunit will be in one of the local camps.
Conference fee: 10 000 Kenyan Shillings (Africans), 20 000 KShs (non-Africans)
Accommodation and food in Ngurunit, 5 nights: 15 000 KShs
Accommodation in Isiolo (on the way to Ngurunit): 5000 KShs
Call for Papers, Information and Register
There will be a Call for Papers in late December or early January
Updated information you will find on the Bridging Ages website
The conference will be open for registration from beginning of April 2014
Steven Labarakwe, BANK, Marsabit County Government
- Time travels re-done at the kisumu railways station 45 years later
- Updated: Swedish Exhibition Agency videos from the 2014 BA conference
- Declaration from the Bridging Ages Conference in Ngurunit 2014
- Abstracts from the conference
- Conference programme
- Photos from the conference
- More photos from the conference
- Even more photos from the conference
- Ngurunit conference, a chance of a life time.
- Conference in Ngurunit, northern Kenya 30 April 2011
- Life Mathematics
- Mathematics in the Historic Environment
- Bridging Ages Conference in Ngurunit, Kenya, 26-28 August 2014
- ”Education and Community Building”
- “Education, Heritage and Community Building” Draft program and more
- Karibu Kenya Welcome to Kenya!
- Education and Community Building Mathematics in the Historic Environment
- Mathematics and History together Time Travels at Kisumu Railway Station, Kenya
- Comments from delegates of the Bridging Ages Conference in Ngurunit 26-29 August 2014
- Comments from the Ngurunit conferenece
- Bridging Ages Western Kenya
- Time Travel event at the Maseno Maths Camp, Kenya
- Bridging Ages Kenya Launch
- South Africa
- Åland Islands