Education, Heritage and Community Building
Bridging Ages Conference, Ngurunit, Kenya
Delegates leave Nairobi, stay overnight in Isiolo
Arrival in Ngurunit, welcome, settle
09h00 Opening – Dr Wario, Cabinet Secretary for Sports, Culture and the Arts; Dr Yassin, Director General of National Museums of Kenya, Joseph Lekuton, MP
10h00 Introduction, Bridging Ages Northern Kenya – Steven Labarakwe, Marsabit County Government
10h30 Bridging Ages all over the world and the Time Travel method – Ebbe Westergren, President of Bridging Ages
11h30 First session; Heritage, Environment and Community Building,
Introduction: Ebbe Westergren Moderator: Daniel Duba
Presenters: (1 hour): Njuguna Gichere and Lydia Kitungulu, National Museums of Kenya; Emma Angelin-Holmén, Kalmar County Museum, Sweden; Samson Semakula, Entebbe Municipality, Uganda; Agrita Ozola, Tukums museum, Latvia; Florence Indede, Maseno University, Kenya; Isacko Mamo, Department of Environment, Marsabit County Government
Workshop and group discussions (30 min)
14h00 First session, second part
Presenters (1h20 min): Simon Gatheru, National Museums of Kenya; Örjan Molander, Kalmar County Museum, Sweden; Kaari Siemer, Tartu City Museum, Estonia; Adamu Mshelia, Nigeria; Bernard Busaka, Maseno University; Abigail Balie/ Andy Peterson, South Africa; Deborah Amukowa, Maseno University; Denis Ngala, TICAH, Kenya, Kitche Magak and Susan Kilonzo, Maseno University, Kenya; Kerstin Lönnberg and Mattias Lunn, Kalmar County Museum, Sweden
Workshop and group discussions (1 tim)
Conclusions (30 min, big papers on the board)
09h00 Preparation for the Time Travel, Ebbe Westergren & Jeremy Sarunye
09h30 Time Travel at a manyatta, “Stay or Leave” (story-telling, games, dances, weaving, necklaces, fencing, construction of a hut, smoking guards, drilling of fire, write advices)
12h00 Evaluation, questions
13h30 Second session; Education and Community Building,
Introduction: Lena Westergren Moderator: Andrew Khale
Mathematics in the Historic Environment (50 min): Lena Westergren and Berit Roos Johansson, Linnaeus University, Sweden; Mueni Kiio, Mary Nasibi and David M. Malonza, Kenyatta University, Kenya; Andrew Khale, Ngurunit Primary School; Phoebe Awiiti, Kisumu museum, Kenya; Lotta Rautio, Charles Wretman, Södermöre School and Tina Lindström, Kalmar County Museum, Sweden
Education and Community Building:
Presenters (45 min): Thandeka Sibiya, Mpophomeni, South Africa; Gulshera Khan and Judy Mkhize, Port Shepstone, South Africa; Nancy Masasabi, Maseno University; Henry Ayot and Samson Ondigi, Kenyatta university; Grace Mitambo, Department of Education, Marsabit County Government.
Workshop and group discussions (1 hour)
Conclusions (30 min, big papers on the board)
Evening: Surprise, Andrew Kahle
09h00 Short conclusion from yesterday
Third session; Education, Heritage and Conflict Resolution,
Introduction and Moderator: Steven Labarakwe
Presenters (50 min): Joseph Mirgichan, Marsabit County Government; John Rigano, National Museums of Kenya; Annina Ylikoski, Children’s Network BARK, Finland; Jabulani Phelago, Freedom Park, South Africa; Mary Nasibi and Peter Lemoosa, Kenyatta University, Kenya
Workshop and group discussions (45 minutes)
Conclusions (15 minutes, big papers on the board)
11h30 Solutions, achievements, way forward
Closing of the conference, Ukur Yatani, Governor of Marsabit County
Vote of thanks
Next Bridging Ages conference
13h00 Lunch and Market
14h00, until the evening: Big Cultural Festival with Ngurunit Community and other tribes from Northern Kenya: performances, dances, singing etc
A day in Ngurunit
Possible tours (am and/or pm): Visit a manyatta; Walk the mountains; Camel ride; Visit the blacksmith; Natural swimming pool…
Evening: Camp fire
Leave for Nairobi
Questions for the presentations and group discussions
Heritage, Environment and Community Building
1. How can we use local heritage in developing communities? Socially, economically, physically?
1b Is establishing local Heritage Centers in communities a good idea? What would be the role of those Heritage Centers? For community members, schools, tourists? Recording sites and stories, events, Time Travels?
2. What support is needed from heritage and educational organizations?
3. How can the community be engaged in a sustainable landscape?
Education and Community Building
1. How can we use local heritage and local experiences in education, for example in Mathematics and History, on a regular basis?
What support is needed from other organizations? How do we develop the tools?
2. What are the benefits – for the school, for the community? Challenges?
Education, Heritage and Conflict Management
1. Heritage can help us manage conflicts but it can also fuel or preserve conflicts.
How do we use cultural heritage and local knowledge in preventing and resolving conflicts? What is the role of my organization?
Steven Labarakwe, Bridging Ages Northern Kenya, BANK
Ebbe Westergren, Bridging Ages International
- Community Development among Nomads in Northern Kenya
- Time travels re-done at the kisumu railways station 45 years later
- Updated: Swedish Exhibition Agency videos from the 2014 BA conference
- Declaration from the Bridging Ages Conference in Ngurunit 2014
- Abstracts from the conference
- Conference programme
- Photos from the conference
- More photos from the conference
- Ngurunit conference, a chance of a life time.
- Conference in Ngurunit, northern Kenya 30 April 2011
- Life Mathematics
- Mathematics in the Historic Environment
- Bridging Ages Conference in Ngurunit, Kenya, 26-28 August 2014
- ”Education and Community Building”
- “Education, Heritage and Community Building” Draft program and more
- Karibu Kenya Welcome to Kenya!
- Education and Community Building Mathematics in the Historic Environment
- Mathematics and History together Time Travels at Kisumu Railway Station, Kenya
- Comments from delegates of the Bridging Ages Conference in Ngurunit 26-29 August 2014
- Comments from the Ngurunit conferenece
- Bridging Ages Western Kenya
- Time Travel event at the Maseno Maths Camp, Kenya
- Bridging Ages Kenya Launch
- South Africa
- Åland Islands