Action Plan 2015-2017
Bridging Ages is an international organization focusing on the use of local heritage to the benefit of the local community today; that is applied heritage for community buildin. In the Time Travel method, developed by Kalmar County museum and promoted by Bridging Ages organization, contemporary issues are connected with the past. The method includes areas like research, storytelling, study circles, landscape studies, training, education and Time Travel events
The five principles of the Time Travel method are:
- Focus on local sites and stories
- The use of several perspectives, the general is the bottom-up perspective
- Key questions connect today with the past
- Interaction with the community, schools, universities and other parties
- A Time Travel always have a reflective dialogue
Bridging Ages Action Plan 2015-2017
Bridging Ages International and each active country
Promote Applied Heritage and the Time Travel method
- Strengthen the Bridging Ages network in each active country, institutionalized and independent at the same time, networking, capacity building, activities and projects. Each active country develops its own Action plan as part of the international plan.
- Include and partner with a wide range of organizations, from any parts of society in activities and projects, and develop applied heritage and education.
- Establish training courses for capacity building on regional, national and international level as well as seminars and collaboration projects
- Emphasize connection between the academic field and the practical field in common projects and courses
- Organize an annual international conference, and also conferences, seminars and workshops on national, regional and local level for exchange of ideas, inspiration and promotion of Applied Heritage and the Time Travel method
Develop the Bridging Ages organization as regards administration and content
- Form a legal entity with the base in Sweden, to facilitate the sustainability and development of the organization
- Establish a Bridging Ages office at Kalmar County Museum, Sweden (administration) and at the Regional Council of Ostrobothnia, Finland (president).
- Develop promotion material, pamphlets, website, marketing social media, etc
- Support establishing of networks in active countries/regions and create forums for members and organizations to be involved in the development of the Time Travel method and the organization
- Analyze and implement the foundation of the “Time Travel method” and “Applied Heritage” for the focus and quality of the program
- Funding and fundraising is essential and a responsibility for the international organization and for each participating organization
The implementation of the plan and the responsibilities within the organization will be discussed at board meetings and membership meetings.
Bridging Ages in Latvia
International organization Bridging Ages in Latvia is represented by Tukums museum, which is one of the founders of the organization. Tukums museum is a regional museum focusing on the use of cultural heritage to the benefit of the local community. Time Travel method is one of the methods promoted in Latvia by Tukums museum since 2004. The role of the Tukums museum is to
Promote Applied Heritage and the Time Travel method in Latvia
- Strengthen the Bridging Ages network developing partnerships with institutions representing Bridging Ages in Sweden, Finland, Estonia and Lithuania
- Develop closer cooperation with museum in Latvia and schools in Tukums, Engure, Jaunpils Districts and Academy of Culture of Latvia in order to promote the use of the Time Travel method in education
- Strengthen the capacity of Bridging Ages in Latvia using training courses and project recourses
- Organize an annual national conference and workshops on local and regional level for exchange of ideas, inspiration and promotion of Applied Heritage and the Time Travel method
Develop the Bridging Ages organization in Latvia as regards administration and content
- Examine opportunities and challenges of Bridging Ages Latvia as a legal entity in order of development of the organization
- Strengthen a capacity of Tukums museum as a representative of the Bridging Ages in Latvia in order to develop membership and marketing of the Applied Heritage
- Analyze experience already existing and develop promotion material about Applied Heritage and Time Travel method in Latvia
Bridging Ages in Sweden
Bridging Ages in Sweden is situated at Kalmar läns museum
- Establish a sustainable organization for Bridging Ages and the “Time Travel work”, finding a personal succession. Involve responsible persons, coordination, administration etc
- Establish an office for Bridging Ages at Kalmar County Museum; develop promotion material, website, pamphlets, guidebooks etc. Form a legal entity
- Promote Applied Heritage and the Time Travel method regionally, nationally and internationally, emphasis on contemporary issues, community building and heritage
- Develop and implement several development- and international projects in the field of the Time Travel method and Applied Heritage and partner with a wide range of organizations from any parts of society. Also link further to the Regional Development Plan
- Develop the connection between the academic field and the practical field, research and practice, within the partnership between Kalmar läns museum and Linnaeus University
- Work with training, capacity building and education in the Time Travel method and Applied Heritage on various levels
- Find ways to support Bridging Ages networks in other countries
Bridging Ages in Finland
Bridging Ages Finland is organized by Ostrobothnia Children's Culture Network BARK. BARK is administrated by the Regional Council of Ostrobothnia and collaborates with museums, local heritage associations, schools and other partners in the region.
- Establish an office for Bridging Ages work at the Regional Council of Ostrobothnia, working both nationally and internationally
- Strengthen the network regionally and nationally through common projects
- Develop collaboration projects internationally with different institutions
- Work on a closer collaboration with the Bridging Ages organizations in Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania
- Organize a meeting once a year for the national network and smaller meetings regionally
- Develop a closer collaboration with the academic field and strengthen the bond between the practical work and theoretical research
- Promote and work on a closer collaboration with the teacher’s training and the pedagogical field
- Promote and support local heritage museums and museum to work with applied heritage and historic environment education programs
Bridging Ages in Estonia
1. First November 2014 the sixth Congress of the History Teachers in Estonia took place. This is the most prestige event of history teachers where the Estonian minister of education will most likely take part in. There was a presentation on the Time Travel method; a Time Travel movie from the 1980 “A Progressive School day in Soviet School“ was shown, followed by a workshop.
2. Museums have been the main distributers of the Time Travel concept: introduced, tutored, making proposals and generating ideas. The main focus of the next few years will be collaboration with schools on the matter: teaching the concept, tuition, creating programs, individual approach, role models. While still to continue to inform the museums about the subject. The new national curriculum of the Republic of Estonia supports this approach.
3. Closer collaboration between schools and museums: this cooperation will create Time Travels, which museums may later offer to other schools, communities, tourists. To inspire schools to propose ideas about Time Travels to museums. To improve the collaboration between the museums of Tallinn and Tartu with schools of Estonia.
4. The guides of different museums could use elements of Time Travel in their tours; if possible educate the guides, too.
5. Full Time Travel programs can be offered to the community and tourists by museums.
6. When possible, it is wise to introduce the concept of Time Travel to future teachers of history at the University of Tallinn.
7. There are different organizations in Estonia that focus on recreating and experiencing history: Living History, Kalevite Kange Rahvas, and Live Action Role-Playing: establish contacts and when possible cooperation and sharing of experiences.
8. The Estonian representative on the Bridging Ages board will create at least one new Time Travel a year, which could be used in museums and schools, and is also ready to supervise and do tuition in different towns/communities
9. Reviving the tradition of story telling
10. The project of creative Europe: the coming together of two communities through story telling (carried out by Tartu City Museum).
11. Participation in the Bridging Ages conference 2015 in Ireland and in the conferences the following years.
Bridging Ages in Turkey
1. Support formal office for Bridging Ages International
2. Strengthen the network regionally and nationally through common projects
3. Work on international projects, writing EU projects
4. Organize seminars with cooperation Celal Bayar University, on the Time Travel method
5. Do Time Travels
6. Find different organizations and interest groups for collaboration to strengthen Bridging Ages organization in Turkey
7. Be host for possible meetings in Turkey
8. Participate once a year in the Bridging Ages conference
Time Travels and Bridging Ages in South Africa, 2013-2016
Guideline and Framework
- Use Time Travel as an educational tool to reflect on important and sensitive issues in society, using heritage and local sites for learning, social cohesion and community building
- To give a voice to communities in order to take ownership of the heritage, offering a platform to choose and uncover local heritage sites to tell their stories, using Time Travels. Create Time Travel committees within the communities.
- To improve the quality of education in SA by employing the Time Travel method as an educational method, part of curriculum in schools. The goal is that each learner has taken part in at least one Time Travel during their school years.
- To elevate the role of museums, working together with schools and communities, in championing the use of the TT method in South Africa.
- To raise awareness on some of the social issues and make use of Time Travels as a tool to address them, not least the elderly people and involving their life experiences, but also young persons.
- Use Time Travels in understanding the environment, landscape education, in order to reach sustainable resources.
- Use Time Travels for community development and tourism
- To ensure that Bridging Ages is an organization on all levels that is vibrant with engaged and skilled leaders and good communication. Time Travels are sustainable in several provinces and started in new provinces.
- Approach key stakeholders on all levels, national, provincial and local bodies – education, cultural, social development, environment and others and implement it into national, provincial and local plans and policies.
- Trainings and capacity building for Time Travel committees in all provinces; identified engaged and passionate Time Travel leaders and assistants (35-40 training days 2014)
- Training of teachers and community members as part of the preparations of each Time Travel (35-40 training days 2014)
- Conduct Time Travels on a regular basis (70-80 Time Travels 2014, reaching 4000-5000 persons)
- Institutionalize the Time Travel method, when possible, and make more institutions buy into it
- Implement Time Travels in museums in active provinces. Example: In KZN all 47 museums, affiliated to KZN, will conduct Time Travels as a way of transforming museums, working together with the communities.
- Research and record (untold) stories from communities in the country and make them accessible
- University course in Historic Environment Education and Time Travels and modules in other courses, i.e. teacher education.
- The basic principles of TT are well-known and implemented and make partnerships with likeminded organizations and institutions.
- Highlight and identify future historical anniversaries, i.e. the 20 years celebration of democracy in 2014
- National conference every second year
- Develop fundraising strategies
- Good international relations within Bridging Ages International
Adopted by the delegates at the Bridging Ages South Africa national conference in Port Shepstone, 17 October 2013
The Bridging Ages Action Plan 2015-2017 was adopted by the Bridging Ages board 27 November 2014